Thinking of Discontinuing your Traditional Phone Service?
Many people are making the decision to disconnect their home phone and move their home telephone to their cell phone. If you decide to use only a cell phone, keep these important tips in mind:
- A typical home or work phone gives 9-1-1 call takers an exact location. Cell phones with location technology only provide an approximate location.
- Typically only larger metropolitan areas have updated 9-1-1 equipment and technology. Many 9-1-1 centers across the nation are NOT equipped to receive location information. If you are in an area that has implemented location technology and you have an outdated phone, your location information may not be received by the call taker.
- Choose your phone wisely. Your life could depend on it. Research your decision and know the benefits and limitations of the phone service prior to making a commitment or signing a contract.
Tips for Cell Phone Users
- Always know your location and be ready to give directions to the 9-1-1 call taker using cross streets, mile markers, landmarks, city and county names.
- Always know your cell phone number.
- Tell the 9-1-1 call taker what the emergency is.
- If your call is disconnected dial 9-1-1 again and let them know you were disconnected.